Hello. The first thing you need to know about Windows OS is that it can make even the most stable users uncomfortable. To make your life a little bit easier, I want to tell you about COM Surrogate: what the process is, what it does, is it worth to remove it, and how to do this correctly.
COM Surrogate is a standard utility, closely related to the work of graphics adapter drivers and dynamic libraries of the .NET Framework. Without this program it would be impossible to view videos or pictures on your computer.
It is started by the file dllhost.exe, which can be seen in the Task Manager process list. Sometimes it can consume a lot of resources, putting a heavy load on RAM and CPU.
Why does COM Surrogate load the CPU?
Below we will discuss the reasons for this undesirable behavior. But first, let us just list them. Problems occur when:
- You are trying to play a corrupted media file;
- The system has the outdated versions of codecs installed;
- A virus has “settled” on your computer.
Here are some methods of solving the problem.
If the file you want to open (image / video) is broken, you will see the error message “COM Surrogate stopped working”. But to be sure in making further decisions, you need to run a check:
- Run the “Resource Monitor” utility using the Windows search bar:
- When the standard application opens, switch to the “CPU” tab and look for the file “exe” in the list of processes. Then click on it to view a detailed description in the lower part of the window:
- If you find a descriptor which has a path to a video or picture, you should delete the object in the specified location. This will eliminate the error.
It is possible that the required item will be blocked. I recommend that you use one of the programs listed in the
in the overview at the link
- Open the “This Computer” folder and in the upper right corner you will see a link to the “Uninstall / Change Programs” action. Click on it:
- Find K-Lite or any other utility whose name contains the word “Codec” in the list and click the “Uninstall” button:
For Windows 10 another way is also relevant: right-click on the “Start” button (or press Win + X ) and in the menu that appears select the very first item – “Applications and features”:
- After completing the procedure, be sure to restart the PC.
The situation has not changed for the better? Then let’s consider some more solutions.
I won’t go into much detail, but go straight to the instructions:
- Via control panel or the search bar to find the item “System”. You can also find it in the main context menu by pressing Win + X. In the new window select “Advanced Settings”:
When the window opens, click on the “Options” button in the “Performance” section and then go to the “Run Prevention…” tab, where you activate the option to enable DEP for all but the specified applications – click on “Add” and find the dllhost file in the Windows | System32 folder:
After opening, adding to the list and exiting all windows (press OK to save the change), you must restart the system.
Checking for viruses
If none of the methods help, it is possible that your computer is infected with viruses. I recommend following the standard procedure:
- Press Win + R and type in the command line:
- A folder with temporary elements will appear. We have to remove them all:
- Download two free utilities – AdwCleaner и CCleaner. The first one does not need to be installed – just run it and wait until the scan finishes. Detected threats will be shown in a report:
- Then proceed to the second utility to clean the traces of the malicious script in the system registry. Detailed instruction (video) can be found here.
Now you know COM Surrogate how to remove the error, associated with a virus or other causes. What this process is, we figured out, but if you have any questions on the subject – feel free to ask them under this post in the comments.
07.07.2017 10:00 10443