“Alice, turn on your workout music!”, “Alice, set your alarm for 8:00!”! The voice assistant from Yandex has become a help for many in performing routine tasks. From this article you will learn how to enable Alice in Yandex on your phone by yourself with a simple algorithm of actions.
Why do you need to install Alice?
The voice assistant is capable of performing both simple and complex manipulations on your device, namely:
- Find information about celebrities or historical figures, tell interesting facts from the field of science, politics, art, etc.
- Answer simple questions: “what time is it?”, “what date is it today”, etc. Find out what kind of answering machines on android.
- Manage the programs installed and preinstalled on your smartphone.
- Click links or open tabs in the browser.
- Get a quick overview of regional news, weather, time, and currency exchange rates.
- Set an alarm clock and timer.
- Call a cab to a specified address.
- Perform any mathematical operations.
- Monitor situations on the road.
- Maintain a simple conversation on a given topic.
- Call a dictated number or a contact in your phonebook.
- Play music: both individual tracks and search by author, lyrics, or mood. Did you know you can play music on your smartphone?
To see the full list of Alice features, ask the assistant the question, “Alice, what can you do?”
Alice is the brainchild of Yandex developers, created specifically for Russian-speaking users, and is a competitor, and in many ways analogous to Google Assistantwhich is still not the best optimized for the Russian language. Thanks to a self-learning algorithm, the voice assistant’s vocabulary is constantly being enriched.
The assistant answers in the pleasant voice of Tatyana Shitova (a Russian dubbing actress). Most of the phrases sound as natural as possible, but because of the complexity of the Russian language, when it comes to the production of phrases, accents and inflections – there may be errors. See also the complete list of the most useful android apps this year.
How do I install Alice on Android?
Alice is not a separate utility – it is attached to Yandex Browser. In order to enlist the help of the voice assistant – you need:
- Go to Play Market.
- In the search bar type “Yandex Browser” and in the list that appears select “Yandex Browser – with Alice.
- Download the application – make sure that the memory of the device is enough for this
- After that (and if “Yandex Browser” is preinstalled), you can go straight to installing the voice assistant.
- Go to Play Market again and type in “Yandex Alice”.
- Click “Install” or “Update”.
How do I set up Alice on Android through the Yandex browser?
In order for Alice to start responding to your commands, you need to configure it. The debugging process is quite simple and can be done in several ways.
Configuring via Yandex Browser
To get the ability to call Alice by voice, you need to configure the settings in the Yandex app itself. The procedure is carried out in seven steps:
- Go to Yandex Browser from your device or click “Open” in Play Market immediately after downloading the browser.
- Scroll through the promo information and click on “get started.”
- To start using the voice assistant, tap “allow” to ask for location and microphone access.
- Once on the home page, tap the purple icon with the white triangle in the center.
- See the list of Voice Assistant features. Try to ask any question with your voice, write it, or select the appropriate section.
- Click on the blue label “All skills” to see the full list of the assistant’s features.
- Now you can launch Alice with a voice command or by tapping the shortcut on the home screen.
How do I turn on Alice on android via Google Assistant?
On some devices, it’s not possible to operate Alice as your primary voice assistant. However, you can set it up through Google Assistant, using a special Voice Match feature. Here’s how you can do it:
- Say the command “Open Yandex.”
- The second step is to call Alice and make the necessary settings, according to the instructions above.
The main disadvantage of this method is the need to perform the above commands each time before using the Alice functionality.
How do I turn off Alice?
If you find Alice annoying because it activates on false commands (it responds to the name of a movie or TV series character that is in tune with Alice’s name) or if you find that it’s not working properly, you can turn it off. And both temporarily and permanently.
Setting up and temporarily disabling Alice on Android
This method is suitable if the inconvenience of using the assistant is its excessive “responsiveness” to any phrases that it reads as voice commands:
- Open Yandex Browser.
- Go to the menu (three dots to the right of the search bar).
- Open the settings section and go to “Voice features”.
- “Do not use voice” will disable any voice search capability, and “Voice activation” will disable the assistant’s response to “Listen, Alice/Yandex”. The voice assistant can now only be launched by tapping the purple icon.
How to completely remove Alice from the smartphone?
With a weak Internet, the browser with Alice can work incorrectly and waste a decent percentage of traffic. Then you can use one of two ways to get rid of the voice assistant.
The first way
- Go to the settings of your smartphone.
- Go to “Applications”.
- In the list of applications, find the voice assistant program and click “Remove”.
- Go to Google Play and type “Yandex” in the search bar.
- Select the browser you have installed.
- Go to the page of the application and click “Uninstall”.
As you can see, there is nothing complicated about installing, setting up and using Alice. At the same time, such a small utility can significantly simplify life by quickly fulfilling minor user requests.