Zoom is a very popular video chat program. By default, if we turn on the webcam, our interlocutors will see our character and what is around us. However, there is another option, and that is the virtual background, which allows you to leave only your face/the rest of your body in the frame, and replace the whole mess behind with something else. Just how do you set the background on Zoom?
Below, we’ll explain the process step-by-step for both PCs and smartphones (since Zoom is also available on mobile devices). Fortunately, it’s not too difficult or time-consuming, so it’s worth experimenting with if the default background doesn’t satisfy you. Enjoy!
How do I set up a background in Zoom on my computer?
To set a custom background in Zoom on your computer, all you have to do is follow the instructions we’ve prepared:
- Download Zooma on your PC, install it and log in.
- Press on the cogwheel icon in the upper right corner of your screen (under your avatar).
- Select the “Background & Filters” tab on the left side of the settings window.
- Tap on any of the available backgrounds to set them. If you want to use your own background, click on the little plus button, select “Add Image” and choose your own background from the files stored on your drive, then select it from the list once it’s added to it.
In addition to static backgrounds, you can also use videos as virtual backgrounds. Just click on “Add Video” instead of “Add Image”. There is also an option to apply special filters to the background – just click on the “Video Filters” tab, and then on the background you are interested in.
You can also click on the “Studio Effects” button and add a beard, change eyebrows or lip color. You will be able to preview the effect of the options you select in real time in the window showing the camera image.
How do I set the background in Zoom on my phone?
The answer to the question of how to set the background in Zoom on your phone is also relatively simple. Just follow the instructions below:
- Download Zoom, open it and log in.
- Join a conversation or start your own.
- Tap on the three dots and the word “More” at the bottom right of the screen.
- Select “Virtual Background” from the list.
- Set the virtual background from the available options or choose some photo from your gallery.
And you’re done – our background should be changed to another virtual one. The option to change the background is available on most Android smartphones, as well as iPhones.
Setting a background in Zoom – summary
We hope that after reading the above tips, you now know how to set a background in Zoom – whether on your phone or computer. It’s worth having this knowledge, because the virtual background is an interesting diversification, and sometimes even a necessity (because, for example, what is in our real background is not really suitable to be on view). Just make sure you don’t wear clothes the same color as your real background, e.g. the wall behind you – then everything will blend together and Zoom might have trouble telling what’s part of you and what’s not.