In this publication I will tell you how to make a screenshot on your computer for editing, sending the image by e-mail or posting on social networks. We will consider both built-in Windows tools and third-party applications.
What is a screenshot?
A screenshot is a picture of the whole screen or a part of it at a certain moment in time. Simply put, a picture of what is happening on the monitor.
Why do I need it?
I often have to share screenshots on my site for instructions on how to solve certain problems. Without them, my “stories” would turn into a dry and incomprehensible set of paragraphs. That is, for clarity, to show others.
Here is another example. You get an error in your program, you turn to our site for help, and I say: “Describe the problem. Show me a screenshot, so I can find a solution faster.. As an option.
We could go on and on. Let’s move on to the practical part.
How do you make a screenshot on your computer?
I will start by describing the simplest built-in tools. But first let’s talk about the “magic” key PrtSc (Print Screen) with which we will take screenshots. This button is located between the main keyboard block and the numeric key block:
And where is the Print Screen button on the laptop? Here the location is slightly different:
On different laptops, PrtSc may be in different locations, but roughly in the same area.
Paint – this is the built-in graphics editor (draughtsmith) Windows, which went all the way of Microsoft’s operating system, starting with Windows 95 and up to the “fresh ten”.
- We press the Print Screen button;
- Open Paint. The easiest way to do this is to use the Start menu search or the Windows Search by specifying the name of the application in the query field:
- When the results are displayed, click on the item with the appropriate title.
- This launches the application, which has the following interface:
- To paste the screenshot into the Paint window you need to click the “Paste” button in the screenshot above. Now the answer to the question – “Where are screenshots saved on Windows 7?” is quite obvious – to the clipboard!
- Now you can draw, paste text and other elements that are available in the editor. And when you’re done, you should use the “File” menu to save the image in one of the suggested formats:
That’s all. You can dispose of the resulting file at your discretion. Next, I’ll tell you a couple more methods how to take a screenshot on a Samsung (or any other, for example, Lenovo).
Also a built-in Windows tool, which can be launched through the same search bar (as we did with Paint):
A small utility window will be displayed, where you should click on “Create”.
After that, with the left mouse button held down, select the desired fragment of the screen. When the left button is released, the “cut piece” will be displayed in the editor:
- Now you can do whatever you want with it: draw on it, email it, or just save it to disk.
I think we’ve got that covered as well. Now we can move on to reviewing third party applications.
A versatile tool for designers and web developers, which not only answers the question “how to make a screenshot on your computer”, but also has many additional tools.
- First of all, it is a cool software for screenshots (screenshots). You can select the scan area manually or set its size to the accuracy of one pixel. If you want to take a picture of the active window (even the part of it that doesn’t fit within the screen), this application will easily do the job.
- A simple, at first glance, image editor is available. It has all the tools you need to draw freely, apply captions, arrows and other graphic elements.
- There are several filters that can soften the picture or make it sharper. A big plus of the software is the ability to resize the photo to optimize it for web viewing.
By the way, the Picpick screenshot automatically opens in the editor for further actions.
- Many developers and designers will like the “Ruler” tool, which allows you to measure distances between elements on the screen.
- “Color under the cursor” helps to know the color code in RGB or Hex (Html) representation.
To download Pickpick you just need to click on the button:
This is an add-on for browsers that supports Google Chrome, Yandex, Firefox. After installation, a button in the right corner of the browser will appear in the form of a lilac pen:
Immediately emphasize that this tool is only suitable for snapshots within the browser. That is, you will not be able to “take a picture” of the desktop or any application.
There are many other utilities for this purpose. But the ones I listed in the article will be enough for you. If you have the desire and time, you can test Clip2Net, FastStone Capture or EasyCapture. They are good tools which I don’t use but millions of other users around the world do.
What should I do if the print screen button on my computer does not work?
This is a very common problem. I will not talk about cleaning your keyboard, dancing with diamonds. Just briefly tell you how to get around this key to make a screenshot.
- Use “Scissors” (see instructions at the beginning of the article);
- Use the program PicPick, in which you can activate the ScreenShot mode through the icon in the notification area;
- Turn on the virtual keyboard and there press PrtSc .
The virtual input method is very easy to start. It is enough in the search line “Start” to specify the query “OSK” (or “virtual keyboard”). After starting it, you will see this “miracle”:
Well, that’s it now! If you liked my article “How to make a printscreen on your computer”, do not forget to share it with your friends on social networks. And don’t forget to leave comments if you have any questions.