Reduced sound quality in the smartphone – a common problem caused by clogging the speaker. This is explained by the fact that this device is not hidden under the body of the device, but is protected by a fine mesh. Therefore, dirt and moisture eventually penetrate inside, degrading the quality of communication. The expert showed how you can clean the phone speaker from dirt and water at home.
Software to clean your phone speaker from dirt and water
Developers of software products for smartphones have created special utilities that can remove water and dirt from under the speaker grid. And such utilities exist for a long time. In particular, Apple has expanded the list of functions of the Siri voice assistant, which comes with iOS-based smartphones and “smart” watches, with the ability to remove dirt from the speaker.
The principle of operation of such programs is to increase the sound volume to maximum values. In this case, the speaker gradually changes the frequency of the emitted wave, so that water and dirt “come out” through the mesh.
On the iPhone, this function works if you have previously installed the Water Eject module in the Commands app. To clean the speakers in smartphones with other operating systems, you need to download a special app on the device.
How to use
To remove dirt and water from the microphones of smartphones you can use the following programs:
- Speaker Cleaner;
- Clear Speaker.
The second utility is under development. However, this program can be downloaded from GitHub. But due to the fact that the developer did not have time to debug Clean Speaker, after running this utility there may be conflicts with different versions of the operating system. Both programs are distributed free of charge.
Regardless of the type of application, the removal of dirt and moisture drops from the speaker follows the same algorithm. Before starting the program, you need to prepare the device.
Pre-preparing the connectors
To prepare the speaker for cleaning, you will need:
- a vacuum cleaner with a lint nozzle;
- cotton swabs;
- masking tape;
To remove large particles of dirt from under the grid of the speaker you need:
- Vacuum the speaker. At this stage, do not press the nozzle on the unit and avoid contact with the display. Vacuuming will remove large particles of dirt.
- Clean the grid with a toothbrush. In this case, it is recommended to use one with pointed and stiff bristles. The latter penetrate deeper into the hole.
- Clean the mesh with a cotton swab soaked in alcohol. After the procedure, the speaker should dry for three minutes. It is recommended to moisten the swab lightly in alcohol, so as not to flood the device.
Hydrogen peroxide can be used instead of alcohol. This liquid also removes traces of grease, thereby speeding up the cleaning of the device.
If the grille is flush with the smartphone body or the display (depending on which speaker is being cleaned), then masking tape is used to remove residual dirt. The latter should be glued to the device, pressing tightly against the mesh. In this case, you can further smooth out the tape with a cotton swab. This will allow the adhesive base to penetrate deeper through the fine holes of the grid. Often the described manipulations are enough to improve the sound quality.
The work of the programs
Speaker Cleaner has a clear interface. To clean the speaker of your smartphone with this application you need:
- Select the desired mode. The program supports two ways of cleaning: static (the sound frequency increases smoothly) and rhythmic (the frequency increases in a wave-like manner). The second option is suitable for cases where the smartphone has fallen into water.
- Select the speaker you want to clean (top or bottom).
- Increase the volume to maximum if the lower speaker is dirty. Next, turn on Start Cleaning and wait for all moisture to come out through the mesh. The smartphone in this case should be placed on a flat surface so that the connector is facing downwards.
- Turn on Start Cleaning and turn up the volume to maximum (in that order) if the top connector is dirty. In this case the smartphone should be placed with the screen facing down.
It is recommended to put a dry cloth or towel under the device. The program will automatically stop after the end of cleaning.
The second application Clear Speaker removes dirt only from the bottom connector. In this case, you should also first clean the mesh with a cotton swab soaked in alcohol. After that you should:
- Turn the volume to maximum.
- Move the slider in the app to the Clear Speaker position.
- Place your smartphone with the connector facing down.
This app takes longer to remove dirt and water. This process takes up to two minutes. Clear Speaker, unlike the first app, pauses every 30 seconds to allow the user to check the cleaning results. The app performs this procedure up to five times.
It is possible to increase the efficiency of the application if, after increasing the vibration frequency, you put a magnet to the microphone. The latter will remove small metal particles that degrade the sound quality. But this method is recommended to use in extreme cases.
How to replace the speaker, if the cleaning fails
The procedure of replacing the connector is recommended to be carried out with the appropriate experience. At home, this can be done using the following algorithm:
- Disassemble the smartphone. To do this, you will need to remove the back wall, using a thin blade, and unscrew the screws with a small screwdriver.
- Use a soldering iron to remove the old microphone. The device is removed with a blade, which should be slipped under the heated “legs”.
- Clean the chip with alcohol from the remains of the microphone.
- Using a soldering iron and solder a new microphone is attached to the same place.
- Lightly press the microphone to the chip and solder the protruding wires.
It is recommended to perform the described manipulations quickly. If the microchip overheats, the mobile device may malfunction. When the replacement is completed, you should remove the excess solder, wiping the device with alcohol. Finally, you need to check the functionality of the microphone, and then – tighten the screws and put the back cover back in place.
Alternative method of cleaning with chewing gum
This method can be used both separately and after cleaning the device with alcohol. To remove soiling, you will need to:
- Chew the chewing gum until it has a soft consistency.
- Place the chewed gum on the mesh and apply light pressure.
- Tear off the gum from the mesh.
This option is not popular because the remnants of chewing gum can get on the microphone and ruin the latter. Because of this you will have to disassemble the smartphone and install a new speaker.
As a replacement for chewing gum are also used:
- Half-dried PVA glue or “Moment”;
- mask for cleaning the face from black dots.
These products have a more liquid consistency than chewing gum. Therefore, glue or face mask is not recommended.