Contrary to common stereotypes, grilling is a good way to prepare low-calorie dishes. Nutritionist Magdalena Jarzynka-Jendrzejewska gives tips on what to do to grill healthy and dietetic.
If we start grilling we should first of all think about the best quality meat. You can’t give up on that because most of the flavor of the dish comes from the meat. Spices are only to emphasize its taste.
If possible, avoid salting the meat, and use herbs instead.
And the most important thing: slow, long and thorough grilling is always better than roasting over a very strong and violent fire. When grilling, do not rush. Then the meats will be juicy, aromatic and soaked with flavor. Although nutritionists believe that long grilling meat is not very good for the human body. They emphasize that under the influence of high temperature, up to 20 percent of fat is melted from meat. Thus, the meat is less caloric.
– Grilling in itself is a healthy process, but it is important to remember that it also has downsides. As a result of temperature, fat burning and smoke, substances harmful to the human body may be formed. We can avoid them if we follow a few basic rules, e.g. we should keep an appropriate distance between the grate and the embers, do not grill meat for too long, and use aluminium trays or foil – thanks to that the fat will not drip straight onto the embers – explains Magdalena Jarzynka-Jendrzejewska, a specialist in human nutrition from Dietosfera.
According to the nutritionist the low-calorie barbecue menu should consist of lean meat. A good choice will be poultry or lean beef (e.g. steaks – sirloin, striploin, entrecote).
– Fish is even better. Remember to choose those with firm meat. You can put on the grill both salmon, trout and cod – he adds.
Grilled vegetables go well with fish, which should be covered with good quality olive or rapeseed oil – thanks to this treatment vitamins contained in them will be better absorbed. The grill can also be used to prepare a healthy dessert in the form of fruit skewers.
– Bananas, apples and pineapples are best for their preparation,” he says.
– Tastes, including taste, are not discussed. If someone likes grilled pork neck or ribs, zucchini will not convince him, but we can persuade him not to let heavy dishes dominate his menu. In addition to fatty meats or sausages we can eat grilled vegetables, salads, fish. I also recommend other meats than pork: lean beef is healthy, e.g. sirloin steak, chicken and turkey served e.g. as a side dish. in the form of skewers with vegetables. Elevated cholesterol does not give any symptoms, but before we start possible health problems we should think about healthy eating – said Magdalena Jarzynka-Jendrzejewska.
Mosso brand manager Tomasz Kwaśniewski has a different approach to grilling. He believes that meat is the king of barbecue.
– Traditional sausages, ribs, pork neck or bacon are my favourite delicacies,” says Tomasz Kwaśniewski. However, the secret of their taste is hidden in their proper preparation. It is worth marinating the ribs, neck of pork or bacon already several hours before grilling. We can use herbs for this – thyme, rosemary, garlic, as well as honey or beer. Marinades not only add aroma to the dishes, but also reduce the risk of creating carcinogenic compounds which are formed when meat burns naturally. – A little more time will take us to prepare hamburgers, which are also at the top of my favorite dishes. Their clue is good quality beef – ground and seasoned with a pinch of salt, pepper and fresh garlic – he explains. Both with grilled meat and with hamburgers goes the best with traditional wet seasoning – ketchup, mustard or horseradish.
– More and more boldly we reach for ready-made sauces – from garlic, through pepper, to mustard and horseradish – he adds.
Grilled cod with capers and rosemary, with botanica salad
4 cod fillets, 1 lemon, 1 tbsp capers, 2 tbsp olive oil, 30 grams fresh rosemary, 20 grams fresh parsley, 4 large potatoes, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 small red onion, 200 grams of botanicals.
Method of preparation: Clean the cod, marinate with chopped rosemary, parsley, drizzle with oil and set aside in a cool place for 30 minutes. Peel the potatoes, cut into 1 cm slices, mix with a few drops of olive oil, a little rosemary, coarsely ground pepper, salt and chopped garlic. Wrap the whole thing in aluminum foil and place on the grill. While you are waiting for the roasted potatoes, prepare the vinaigrette and rinse the botanica. Add a teaspoon of fine mustard, 100 ml of good olive oil, a few drops of lemon juice, pepper and a pinch of sugar to the sauce and blend. Add the diced small red onion and a tablespoon of capers to the salad. When the potatoes are almost done and the botwinka is coated with the dressing, put the marinated cod fillets on the grill – grill for 5-7 minutes, turning as you go.