Telegram is a universal platform for communication, sharing information, making free calls. Community developers care about each client, so they have ported the software for all common operating systems. The service is available on all platforms and from web resources. Installation of Telegram for Linux is not much different from the Windows version. After launching the software, user data is synchronized in any device.
Installing Telegram on Linux
There are several system options for Linux users: Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint and others. The installation for them is done in an identical way. You can perform the action yourself by selecting the appropriate method.
The installation of the messenger in this way is best done through the terminal with the addition of a repository. Once the program is installed, there will be no restrictions in the work.
To perform the installation, the user will need to proceed as follows:
- Start the terminal by using the OS search engine or by pressing the keys: Ctrl+ Alt+T.
- sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/telegram;
- sudo apt-get update;
- sudo apt-get install telegram.
The first command is responsible for adding the Telegram repository to the system list. A password will be required, as it has superuser privileges.
The next command is responsible for updating packages, so it is mandatory. The third command facilitates downloading the application and installing it on the PC.
Then you need to install the program, reboot the PC.
Through the installation file from the official site
To use this option, just follow a few steps:
- Go to the link: https://desktop.telegram.org/.
- Download the archive.
- Unpack the archive.
- Click on the Telegram file and install the software.
In the Ubuntu repositories, the messenger assembly is available both as a regular one and as a snap package. This allows you to install the program in a couple of steps.
Using the online version
Webogram’s web interface is designed to use Telegram without the installation process. It is equipped with the same features, the same design. It is currently considered to be the most user-friendly version of the application for Linux.
To use the web version of the software, you will need:
- Open the browser on your computer.
- Enter into the search box: web.telegram.org.
- Go to the main page, log in with personal information, phone number.
Uninstalling the program
Uninstalling Telegram for Linux is done in the usual way.
Installed from the messenger application programs:
- Regular package: sudo apt purge telegram-desktop.
- Snap package: sudo snap remove telegram-desktop.
- To remove the application manually: sudo rm -Rf /opt/Telegram/*.
From the package server
Telegram is available directly from the Ubuntu package server. Linux Mint is an Ubuntu-based distribution, so it uses its packages as the source of its packages. To get the application, all you have to do is send a command to the APT package messenger.
Start the terminal.
Refresh APT cache.
Snap is a universal Linux package. Thanks to package manager support, it can be installed on any Linux distribution.
The Linux Mint distribution does not come with the snappy package manager installed. But if it is already present, the user will have to go directly to the installation of the messenger.
Another universal package is flatpak. The packages can also be installed on any Linux distribution. It is almost identical to snap in terms of functionality and usage. Linux Mint comes with flatpak already preinstalled.
Getting Started and Russifying
The Linux system is as popular as the modification of the Telegram application. Most users are interested in the question of russifying the messenger. The actions are performed with the help of a standard bot called “RobotAnton”.
After installing the application on the computer running on Linux Ubuntu, it is necessary to follow the step-by-step instruction:
- If the user first installed the software on the computer, after opening the program in the message list will appear telerobot bot to russify the platform. If the bot is missing, it can be found through a search.
- You can use the bot after pressing the “Start” button. Communication will take place in Russian.
- Select OS Telegram Desktop.
- The system will ask you to choose a language. Choose Russian from the list by clicking the appropriate button.
- The bot will send you a Russian localization file which you will be asked to download. It will be automatically placed in your downloads folder. With the file will be a brief instruction for use.
- Go to the “Settings” menu, click on the “Settings” item, type “loadlang” on your keyboard.
- After launching File Explorer, find the downloaded file.
- Reload the program.
- Then, the russified interface will open.
The messenger client for Linux has a user-friendly interface, quick access to settings and contacts. Information, photos and videos are exchanged in their original form. Telegram on Linux opens up many opportunities to communicate with friends, relatives and colleagues.