It is difficult to find a house that does not have a TV. The device is a familiar attribute of human life today. But only few people know that it can be used not only as a TV signal transmitter, but also for surfing the Internet. Many modern televisions have an inconspicuous LAN socket on the back to connect the Internet or DLNA – tell us what it is and how to use it.
What is the Lan port in modern TVs for
An additional hole in the back of the TV is intended for access to the Internet. The Ethernet cable is used to access it. The setup technology is different in 2 cases.
This development includes a separate OS for modern televisions, which is directly inside them and works from a Wi-Fi- signal or direct cable connection to the Internet source. SmartTV combines TV signal, Internet, and special applications. They provide instant access to your favorite sites like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, music streaming services, and even game or sports content.
In principle, the connection is no different than DLNA. The same Ethernet cable connects to the LAN connector on your TV and router, but next:
- Press “Menu” on your device’s remote control.
- Then go through “Network” – “Network Setup” – “Cable”.
- Remember that the router must have DHCP enabled, which will automatically assign a different IP address to each new device.
- Depending on the TV model, use the Smart Share, AllShare to finalize network connection settings.
It is a technology that connects all your home multimedia devices with the Internet in one common local area network for convenience, making it easy to share files between them without the help of third-party media. You can connect your gadgets to it using a router or Ethernet cable. The technology is great for screens without a built-in router.
Cable connection is more stable, as practice shows (in the case of TVs). How to create a DLNA network:
- Examine your TV. There should be a jack on the back that says “LAN” or “DLNA” above it.
- Use a cable to connect it to a router, a Wi-Fi router, or directly to a port. From a direct connection, the Internet will only be on the TV, which is inconvenient. So I advise you to choose the first method. It is the best in terms of convenience and relevance.
- Insert one end of the cable into the LAN socket on the TV. And the other end into the socket on the router with the same inscription. The main thing is not to mix it up with the WAN. This is the socket for the ISP cable.
You can also use the cable to connect your computer to your TV. In this case, you will get a full huge working screen and the ability to comfortably watch movies. Only you need to buy a cable of HDMI type.
How to connect your TV to a Wi-Fi network
In fact, absolutely any modern TV can be connected to the Internet. Unless, of course, it is an ancient grandfather’s lamp box. The only difference is that some devices support Wi-Fi function from the manufacturer, while others do not. But there are loopholes here as well.
If the TV has a built-in wireless network module:
- Select “Menu” on the remote.
- Go through the chain “Network” – “Network Settings” – “Connection Type” – “Wireless”.
- As a result, the program prompts you to select the actual Wi-Fi network and enter the access password.
Save the settings and the device will automatically connect to the Internet every time it is turned on. If you change the network or password, you will have to repeat the operation.
If the TV does not have a built-in module
Some Smart TVs don’t have a Wi-Fi feature at all, so a good old fashioned LAN jack and cable will come in handy.
- Method 1: Connecting a Smart TV set-top box via a wire. You can easily find the appropriate model by following the reviews or by consulting with a sales clerk.
- Method 2: Use a Wi-Fi adapter. Get the simplest device within 1000 rubles. It plugs into the HDMI connector and gives you access to Google Chromecast wireless network. That way you can watch movies online and listen to music. And it’s easy to control the device through an app on your phone.
How to use the DLNA feature correctly
To get the most out of this technology, you need to learn it well. DLNA is compatible with the following devices:
- Android and iOS tablets and smartphones.
- Laptops and desktop PCs.
- Media players.
- Game consoles.
- Wireless printers.
- Audio devices.
- Photo and video cameras.
Usually devices have a sticker with the abbreviation “DLNA” and a notation of what content can appear on such a network. To create a DLNA network, you need a server for storing files (PC, laptop or NAS server), a playback device (TV), and an Internet source (router or Wi-Fi router).
You already know how to connect your TV. Let’s find out how to extend the network with other devices:
Laptops. There are two ways to connect:
- Download a special program – Kodi, Plex, HMS; “Home media server (DLNA, UPnP, HTTP). This is a media center. Each program has its own settings. You can easily find them on the developer’s website.
- Use Windows Media Player 11 or 12. Only allow the program to access files via “Preferences”, then – check the box for “Media File Sharing”.
Mobile devices. Install a file manager that supports displaying local devices on the network (for example, ES Explorer) and use it to surf the file sharing site. Programs are available on Google Play and APP Store.
Cameras and Printers. Connectivity features are individual for each manufacturer. They can be found in the attached documents and instruction books.