You’ve probably heard that the Windows 10 operating system spies on users. How to disable this uniqueness? There are many options, so I decided in this article to share the most effective ways.
What are we talking about?
Many users even refuse to move to the new version of the operating system from Microsoft, as they believe that the system will “steal” personal data, passwords, bank card numbers, view photos and videos. This is not entirely true. At least, that’s what the developers assure us.
According to their statements, the collection of information (surveillance) takes place to improve the relationship between Windows and the person, to further optimize by releasing updates.
But not everyone wants “robots” to dig into our personal life, to find out our interests.
The developers assure that this approach will improve the Cortana assistant to implement the following functionality:
- Reminders of important things to do and upcoming events;
- Sending reports on errors and crashes;
- Contactless PC control using voice.
But there are nuances that are wary. For example, why is there a keylogger “hanging” in the processes that records every keystroke on the keyboard? I don’t know if it’s true, but some users have noticed that after chatting via webcam, the outgoing traffic to MS servers increases dramatically. Are our conversations and faces being recorded and sent to the servers of the operating system developer? Have you seen anything like this?
How do you turn off spy features?
To turn off anything that can spy on us, you have to resort to the manual method, or use third-party software. Let’s look at both options.
Let’s start by changing the system settings, then try to disable the processes and services that are “digging” into our data. And for the appetizer we will leave a complete lockdown of the MS servers. Let’s go!
- Open “Settings” (this item is in the “Start” menu) and go to the “Privacy” tab. We are interested in the “General” section, where we should change some of the default values. This is what the window should look like:
- Go back to the previous window by clicking on the arrow in the upper left corner. Disable “Location” and stop exploring (“stop-Cortana”) under “Speech…”:
- For the best effect in the fight against data collection, you should refuse to download and install updates. To do this, go to “Update and Security” in the settings, and go to “Advanced Settings”, where you change the state of the switch to “Off”:
- We continue to “break” the system. Next, block a couple of service programs. Open the firewall (you can find it through a search), click on the inscription: “Allow data exchange…” and uncheck the following components: “Remote Assistant” and “Wireless Shield”:
Now let’s take a look at the services you should disable in order to prevent surveillance.
- As much as you would like to to work with the command line.but in this case you can’t do without it. It will not be hard. Open the console (press Win + X , then click on the desired item). Type (or just copy from here) the following commands. Do it in the same sequence:
sc delete DiagTrack
sc delete dmwappushservice
echo "" > C:\ProgramData\ Microsoft\ Diagnosis\ ETLLogs\ AutoLogger\ AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etlreg add "HKLM\ SOFTWARE\ Policies\ Microsoft\ Windows\ DataCollection" /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
- Next, we will try to configure telemetry (or rather, disable it) by editing group policies. Call the “Run” window (Win + R) and type gpedit.msc in the input field.
- When the workspace starts, in the list on the left navigate to the “PC Configuration” folder, then open the subfolder “Admin Templates” – “Components”. Find the directory with the long name “Data Collection Assemblies…”.
- On the right side, you will see the settings. We are interested in item “Allow telemetry”. Open its properties, and there disable unnecessary functionality.
All that remains is to block the developer servers. Want to know how to do this?
- On the system disc we go to: Windows \ System32 \ drivers \ etc and in the last specified folder open the file below:
- If it contains certain addresses, you should replace them with the following ones:
- Be sure to restart the PC after all the manipulation.
Using special software
If you found it too complicated and long to do everything by hand, here are some software to disable spying.
Destroy Windows Spying
This application was one of the first of its kind. Among its main advantages is a clear interface in Russian. It all works very simply. Download the software, run it (you do not even need to install it) and click the big “Deny” button.
Cool software with many options that will not only help to wean your “10” from surveillance, but will also disable unused modules. Warning. When you install this utility you might be asked to install some additional software. Read the messages carefully and refuse!
Disable Windows 10 Tracking.
Its functionality resembles DWS. The same simple and fast program with no special settings. But it is in English.
Windows 10 Privacy Fixer
Handles the anti-spyware task in cold blood. And it also knows how to remove metro apps like Calendar, News, etc.
Which way to use is up to you. But for me it’s interesting to manually look through the settings and figure out spyware. But if you do not have time to do these things, it is better to download third-party software and wean your Windows 10 from “bad habits” in one click.
If the article helped to solve the problems and was useful, you can tell your friends, colleagues in social networks about this material as a sign of gratitude. And don’t forget to add the link to your bookmarks, so as not to lose it.